Sunday, November 04, 2012

Smart Boollywood and its Changing Trends



It’s a smart age that we live in. We video call across nations, we let our tiny phone suggest us restaurants, the moment we click a picture, we think about the caption with which it should be posted in our FB pages, we see things through the lens of internet and information. The times indeed have changed a lot.
And like the times, our movies have also evolved. Gone are those days when people used to throw coins at the cinema screen to appreciate the hero throwing the villains like tennis balls, seven at a time in all seven directions (radial) to save his heroine, gone are those days when people used to envy the yellow-colored loose-shirt-clad hero singing in the garden, filled with acres of yellow-er marigold with his lesser-dressed but highly ornamented heroine alongside 100 co-dancers. I often wonder if Kucch Kucch Hota hai (one of my favorite movies,) was to release the next Friday, would it be such a hit. Would Shahrukh Khan’s flashing the COOL necklace, seem so cool to me? Would Johny Lever’s Almirah-jokes seem so funny even now? I think not.

I have found two reasons supporting my hypothesis.

One, it might be possible that since I’ve grown up, my acceptance has become more limited. I can now realize the completely unreal stuff in a real movie. I can now distinguish between what’s comedy and what family drama and know the limit to which they can be extended, and I am not ready to appreciate if both are served in the same plate. 

The other reason might be that like me, the entire country across all locations and all ages feel the same. The audience has grown up. They have smartened themselves and they now refuse to appreciate the unreal things wrapped in the cover of “believe-able cinema”. They now have come to appreciate the story more than the mindless over emotional acting which was a characteristic of the 1990’s cinemas. So when they hear Salman Khan speaking cut-throat lines and hitting concrete cracking punches to his villains, they do not actually believe it but rightly appreciate the humor. And this change has been welcomed by film makers like Anurag Kahsyap to come to the forefront of the film industry and do their experiments with success. I can bet that no one in the 1990 would have dared to make a movie like Dev-D and still count profit out of it.   

We Indians are deeply rooted to the movies we watch. One of my friends wrote Aamir Khan’s proposal dialogue in Dil Chahta Hai in his first love letter and got accepted. How often do we see people in metro hummmm “tum paas aaye, yunn muskurayein” directed at the girl standing nearby to steal a glance. Our lives revolve around movies and we learn, unlearn, cry, and laugh through the movies we watch. It is a powerful influence medium in action in the country with the second largest population. So a smarter movie culture may be well extrapolated to be the result of a smarter lifestyle or vice versa. Another hypothesis in the making!





  

1 comment:

Hiral Trivedi said...

Like Anurag told his audience in one of his interviews, "It took me 17 years to build an audience of 1 lakh, which is by no means good enough, but the combined budget of all of my movies is less than the loss borne by a single commercial big budget movie not liked by the audience. That means I am not in a very bad situaltion." I have always looked forward to the movies of directors with such conviction. By the way, I have always hated movies like kuch kuch hota hai and kabhi Kushi kabhi Gham. Just saying.