Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Zany Turmoil..

Politics was never my cup of tea... Being outright apolitical, my mind seldom ventures into the classified avenues of this perilous game... Honeyed backstabs, unequaled coalitions, (and other such traits a political star must posses) is not my strong suit… And that is why I avoided their offer. (At least I tried to...)

When Alind, Akash, Abu, Khanna were discussing the impending CR (Class Representative) elections of our batch for this year, I didn’t even have the faintest of the ideas that they were about to recommend my name… rather the previous night I was laughing at one of my friends, when she was explaining the mayhem over the CR elections in her college… I could not figure out how people could fight over the post which generally prefers to stay unoccupied in our college… But by some divine co-incidence, I was the one whom my friends felt could race against Salonee( my contender)… So like a deferential friend, the next day I filled up the form and registered myself as the second sprinter from 3rd year civil engineering batch...

Thus began my election campaign.., (if u call it so)… Babbling remarks like,” arre yeh toh mass bunk nahi karwayega..” and “tujhse accha toh main hi bann jaaun…” started hitting my eardrum.. Some of them were indeed very happy at my decision and some were really not… I despised the fact that some were playing two roles… “There is no need to support me if you feel that I’m not apt for the job… But stop playing with words..”.. this was my reply to one of them… well the largest democracy of the World started showing true colors and I could very well sense it.. But the game was on.. I was in no mood to give up..

Salonee, my venerated colleague didn’t leave any stones unturned… I got to know that she had called people up to secure votes… On the other hand, I did nothing to convince people.. I tried hard to remain calm and behave like it was just another day… The entire week I was just myself and frankly I can say that the fear of loosing the elections didn’t bother me much… I tried to visor the tense look and I wanted people to vote by the virtue of my 2-year impression… Finally the day had arrived… It was 27th August, and there were 50 students present in the class when Kongan A.R called me up to deliver a speech “for two minutes”… this is what I remember I spoke….

“Hello class… you know me… This is supposed to be my first election campaign and I’m standing here in front of you to compete against my dear friend for the post of C.R…

All I can say is that.. m very lucky to get a batch like you.. a batch with ppl of all kinds.. From kidos like Abu to sagacious Arup Ghatak… From ppl like Ritesh Khanna (everyone laughs).. to those like Alind… It’s like a beautiful bunch of my favorite persons… and it will be my prime honor to serve you all as your representative..

Wishing her good luck, I would like to call Salonee to speak..

Thank you..”

Mannn.. I couldn’t believe that I had just spoken ill-equipped (though it took meager 40 seconds).. But I could see people listening to me (more than they listen to Hydro lectures).. I could feel their attention..

Then began the voting.. People took turns to write either ‘G’(for me) or ‘S’(for her).. Anticipation knew no bounds (and there was no salvage to the nails of my little finger..) it was then that I realized how badly I wanted to win.. a defeat by a distaff comrade seemed like a curse.. And sitting at the very last desk in those 10 minutes, I had just lived the most anxious 10 minutes of my life…

After 50 students, the proff called both of us and stated counting.. I remember the faces.. It will be like photographed in my mind for times to come… everybody was uptight.. the ambience of the room revealed thrill as the two boxers were hitting vote punches on each other… 1-0.. 1-1.. 2-1… 2-2.. lubb dupp.. lubb dupp..

The results were announced after that exhausting session…

I had won 29 votes to her 21…

15 comments:

Swayam said...

such is life...dont really know where my sympathies lie...

Gangeyyo said...

he he.. thoughtful comment indeed.. playing with words huh..
:)
well thnks if the sympathies lie for my amigo..

sakshi said...

hmn....well i guess....i may b wrng but i think u wntd 2 win pehle se hee...its jst dat u thought it was imaterial initially...as in d elections stuff....but thn who doesnt lyk winnin????khush to bahot hue hoge jeetne per!!!!
n ya politics is dere evrywhere....either u get in or it gets u....u can run,u can .....bt nt escape POLITICS!!!!!

Aditya said...

deude... i know its unrelated, but go watch Rock On!!! you'd love it....

Aditya said...

good that you are finally willing to compete.. i rem u didn't go for mr. fresher competiton either, though you just had to enter your name to win it...

Aanchal said...

i didnt know whether u wanted 2 compete or not........but 4rm what ive heard u did campaign(so dont pretend to be so modest), and that too for arnd 15 days........and salo was jus doin her job(by calling every1)...........in the end i thnk u got lesser votes than what we had anticipated.........it was very close..........but i guess now that u r our CR, do keep the entire class informed of bunks or photocopies, and not just ur "dear friends" whom u so willfully mentioned in ur impromptu speech..........

Aanchal said...

n btw u r tagged!!

Gangeyyo said...

well..
@ adi sir..yeah i watched the movie.. crafted for ppl like us.. but as a critic i won't rate it vry high.. but yes as a muvi buff i loved it.. and thnx for the compliment.. had u been the judge, i surely wud have competed in Mr. Freshers..
:)

Gangeyyo said...

@aanchal..
well..with all due respect i wud say.. brush up the news from your sources before deciding for your own.. and yes..a healthy opposition helps the cause.. so i would appreciate your criticism too(if any..)
:)

sourya said...

Welllll !!!! had a nice time reading the article......seriously this gang is ameliorating in all sections of creativity....keep it up dude...

Aanchal said...

i just passed on what i had heard.........no offence meant to ur "victory", of course!!

Gangeyyo said...

treatise... :)
white flag in the background...

Aanchal said...

*peace* \/
n our brand new CR........plz friday ko mass bunk kara de........

pri said...

congratulations mate.. had u been in an all-girls coll, u cud have seen the real dirty politics.. yeh toh kucch bhi nhi tha..

Gangeyyo said...

@ pri.. hey thnx.. i wish i cud be there too .. but m afraid I dun satisfy one basic need..
that's m not a girl.. he he..
:)